On our visit to San Diego, we took a trip to the San Diego Zoo. I have always wanted to go to the San Diego Zoo and was super excited that our visit lined up with their 100th birthday celebration! I did a lot of online research before our trip and learned a lot during our visit! Here are my top 6 tips to get the most out of your visit!
1. Arrive at opening time (and see the pandas first!) We got there right as the zoo opened and went directly to the panda exhibit. There were only a few others there, so we could really see the pandas well and enjoy watching. They were also pretty active. When we were in the area later in the day, people were waiting in line to see them. They had a sign posted saying that the line could be 30-45 minutes, so I was glad we didn’t have to wait in it!
2. Bring in some of your own food They allow you to carry in snacks and food (just no large coolers), so you can save a bundle by not buying all of your food in the park. We picked up food at a nearby Subway and carried that in for lunch.
3. Buy tickets in advance You can save a few dollars by buying advance tickets from several websites. Costco and arestravel.com offer one-day tickets. With a Go card or a Citypass, you can save on several San Diego attractions.
4. Get a Refillable Drink They offer a souvenir cup with free refills all day or a regular drink with 99-cent refills. If you plan on spending all day, this can save you money.
5. Take the Bus Tour The bus tour is included in single-day admissions. Sit on the right-hand side of the bus for the best views. The top seats of the bus have the best view, but the bottom seats are shaded. This is a great thing to do early in your visit to get oriented.
6. Be prepared for a lot of walking The zoo was surprisingly hilly. Wear comfortable shoes and bring a hat and sunscreen. You can use the moving walkway near the pandas to save a few steps, as well as the sky ride (which transports you from one side of the zoo to the other).